Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

Tuesday 3 August 2010

If only I had more time!

I am a very enthusiastic podcast listener and have known about Podcasts for a number of years. I regularly download them to either my laptop or creative Zen. I don't listen to a lot of music but I love to listen to plays, poems, missed radio programmes, book readings etc.... I am even trying to improve my French this way. A few years ago I thought about having a library podcast but the feedback I received from both the academic staff and students was unenthusiastic. However, as two of my colleges regularly produce podcasts of lectures for their distance learning students perhaps I should think again. A slideshare presentation might however, be more effective and professional. I suspect that either would take time to produce and as we are short staffed, I doubt if I shall have time to produce something suitable. Unfortunately our users tend to be a bit apathetic with only 2 of our 11 institutions using our Adobe Connect Licence for recording lectures or providing video conferencing - we have a lot of technophobes!

I like YouTube and enjoyed watching the videos. Its amazing what you can find on it - hopefully the film that Libby and her team are producing about CU, college & faculty libraries will be there soon. I could spend ages on this site. My husband finds it very useful when trying to find the correct tempo for ballroom dances etc... or so he says..................

YouTube is certainly a good place to showcase a library and its facilities. However if you are going to do that I think it needs to be done professionally otherwise you might send out the wrong message. A well presented video can be a powerful aid, particularly to those who find it easier to learn this way. I personally think that as people learn in different ways the ideal would be to offer information in a variety of formats. Fortunately this is something that Web 2.0 can offer.






No comments:

Post a Comment