Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

Tuesday 3 August 2010

The wonders of sharing.......


I really enjoyed this Thing and can see lots of applications for it. My colleague & I did this Thing together, sending each other documents to edit. We found it quick easy to use and edit although a spreadsheet that we uploaded from the colleges' shared drive altered some of the content. It seems to work better if a spreadsheet is first saved onto a PC and then uploaded. We also found that large files took a long time to download. One thing we couldn't do was to work out how to 'chat' whilst working on a document. Sending messages was fine but we never received each others despite being informed that we were viewing the document. The Help section wasn't very helpful. Any ideas?

As I work across many sites and only see my staff once a week, this will be an invaluable tool. We have already uploaded a number of documents that will make our lives much easier. No more frantic searching for the memory stick, trying to remember to up date the documents on each machine, cluttering up our overflowing Inboxes ..... we will be able to access the document from any where and at any time.

I must however raise two concerns. Firstly security. If someone can access Facebook profiles, I am sure that accessing Google Documents will not be too difficult. I think that it would be very unwise to place sensitive documents on the server (wherever that may be). Secondly, it is important to ensure that documents are backed up - powercuts, acts of God etc.... I'm beginning to become as neurotic as our IT Officer (only joking Mat!).

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you're going to find Google Docs useful, but think your concerns about privacy are very sensible. I too would be wary of uploading anything too sensitive.

    ReplyDelete