Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

Monday 9 August 2010

A Library Wiki?

I think that this is an interesting idea and I can see many advantages in using it, particularly for local communities or small groups. However, the fact that many will be able to edit the Wiki does mean that someone would need to monitor it. I am the Secretary of ABTAPL (Association of Theological & Philosophical Libraries) and we considered setting up a Wiki last year. We decided against it as no one was able to commit the time needed to monitor it.


I very much like the idea of of the Library Routes Wiki. Illustrating the various route people have taken to achieve their current posts is interesting and very helpful to new professionals. Peoples career routes are often very surprising particularly if it can demonstrate the ways in which librarians are able to transfer to other sectors. I think that this encourages new professionals to think more laterally and illustrates how useful it is to have a wide variety of experience and that it doesn't just have to be library orientated. The CILIP, East of England CDG arranged a workshop last year in which a number of speakers, from a variety of sectors, outlined their career paths. The feedback indicated that this was enjoyed and felt to be extremely useful by the participants.

For my own library however, I do not think that it has a place at present. We have an Intranet and I administer our library pages. Unfortunately as my time is restricted I intend to focus on some of the other Things that have been highlighted first and to see what the uptake is before considering something like this. Promoting Wiki's would take a great deal of time and effort in our community .

No comments:

Post a Comment