Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Closet Librarians?

I started reading the articles thinking that it was basically a tool for closet librarians but was surprised at the interaction that it has generated. I thought that the sample catalogues looked stylish and inviting and was quickly drawn into reading reviews of books that I have recently read. I really like the idea of book reviews, discussion groups and recommendations that LIbraryThing can facilitate. I am still not persuaded about the tags though. Tags are personal to the individual and although it was interesting to see those listed for Larsson's - Girl with the Dragon tattoo, I thought that they look messy.

Having worked in a Public Library for many years I can see the potential that this tool has to engage the users and generate discussion and interaction. I am surprised that no UK public libraries are listed as I would have thought that this would fulfill their criteria for public engagement.

At present, I am not sure how well LibraryThing would work in my own libraries but it might be interesting to try. For small libraries that cannot afford expensive library software, LibraryThing is ideal. I can see much potential for small third world libraries as long as they have good Internet connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment